UCD currently has a student residential accommodation portfolio which extends to approximately 3,179 no. bedspaces on the campus.
The proposed development will increase student residential accommodation by 3,006 no. bedspaces, and provide ancillary and complementary facilities to create a living campus community in a new residential village connected to and integrated with the existing residential villages.
The application site extends to 12.95 ha and generally comprises of surface parking to the north; centrally located training pitches and open space; surface car parking to the south associated with Roebuck Hall Residences; and, a buildings centred on Roebuck Castle (a Protected Structure) to the south.
In summary, the application is seeking a 10-year permission for development comprising the following principal elements:
- 3,006 no. bedspaces comprising a mix of student accommodation typologies.
- The proposed accommodation is arranged in 7 no. Blocks which vary in height from 5 to 10 storeys.
- Generally, the proposed Student Residence Blocks are arranged in a courtyard format. The courtyards are linked visually and by a continuous pedestrian route to ensure integration between the proposed villages and to facilitate linkages between the proposed accommodation and the existing student accommodation.
- Activity Hubs are provided within the blocks with lounge, function and study spaces which are integral to the student accommodation use.
- A student facility centre, (Fulcrum Building), comprising of a function hall, gym and a health & wellbeing centre, with studio accommodation above and, supporting shops and services (bank, convenience store, café’s, shops etc.)
- No works are proposed to Roebuck Castle (a Protected Structure) save for the demolition of modern extensions and buildings in the vicinity of the site.
- A range of student amenity and common spaces are provided and comprise a mix of outdoors spaces within the courtyards and immediately adjacent to the respective Blocks, and internal spaces within each Block and at Roebuck Castle.
- A multi-use external court and outdoor active and passive amenity area on the eastern part of the site.
- Provision of 994 no. car parking spaces comprising: 637 no. spaces at basement level; 32 no. surface spaces within the Student Accommodation Scheme; extension of existing park to the south-west of Belgrove Student Residence by 225 no. surface spaces on a site and provision of 100 no. surface spaces adjacent to UCD Sutherland School of Law.
- Provision of 2,104 no. bicycle parking spaces comprising 510 no. spaces at basement level and 1,594 no. surface spaces
- Retention of the existing woodland walk and all other associated landscaping works.
- Provision of a new, temporary construction access and associated construction parking area onto Fosters Avenue for the duration of the proposed development